NEWTOWN, CT (WCSC/CNN/AP) - On the same day the Newtown, Connecticut, community is marking the sixth anniversary of a deadly shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary school, a bomb threat prompted an evacuation at the school.
The Associated Press reported students were sent home for the day after a bomb threat forced an evacuation. Newtown police say the threat was made at about 9 a.m. Friday and the school was evacuated. Lt. Aaron Bahamonde says there’s a heightened level of anxiety in town on the anniversary and the school superintendent decided to cancel remaining classes.
On Dec, 14, 2012, the shooting left 20 first-graders and six teachers dead. All of the child victims were either six or seven years old.
A 20-year-old carried out the attack after killing his mother in their home, police said. The man shot his way into the school at approximately 9:30 a.m. and took his own life 11 minutes later as police approached the school.
Authorities found three weapons near his body, all of which were purchased legally.
The school where the shooting happened on Dec. 14, 2012, was knocked down and a new building was constructed at the same site.
Moments of silence were observed in Newtown and other places Friday morning in memory of the victims.
It’s unclear whether the threat was related to the bomb threats made nationwide Thursday. In the Lowcountry, Hanahan Police responded to a threat at a Commerce Circle business, while authorities in Georgetown investigated threats at a county library and a business. Authorities cleared the scenes after finding no legitimate threat.
Hanahan Police Deputy Chief Mike Fowler said at least nine threats had been reported across South Carolina Thursday. No devices were found and no injuries were reported.