CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - A popular Summerville restaurant has reopened Saturday after being closed for nearly two weeks.
According to the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control, the 10 people who originally reported getting sick at a La Carreta mexican restaurant had a norovirus infection, prompting an investigation.
“Information is still being collected from those that reported illness,” DHEC spokesman Chris Delcamp said. “The total number or reported illnesses will be posted once the investigation is completed.”
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Norovirus is a very contagious virus that causes vomiting and diarrhea. Someone can get the virus by having direct contact with someone who already has it, consuming contaminated food or water, or touching contaminated surfaces and then putting your unwashed hands in your mouth. Having direct contact with an infected person.