Crews extinguish electrical fire at CofC residence hall

VIDEO: Crews extinguish electrical fire at CofC residence hall

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Crews extinguished a small fire Monday morning inside a residence hall at the College of Charleston blamed on a clothes dryer.

Firefighters arrived around 9:30 a.m. and found the fire in a clothes dryer caused by an electrical shortage.

Students were evacuated from the building while they waited for firefighters to finish extinguishing the fire.

“I woke up to a smoky smell, kind of rubber-ish," College of Charleston senior Rikki Bethea said. "10 minutes later, the alarm went off and I went outside and there was a firefighter telling me to go downstairs.”

The fire was quickly contained and crews remained on scene for some time after in order to clean up minor water damage. St. Phillip Street between Calhoun and Vanderhorst streets was closed for a short time while crews extinguished the fire.

Copyright 2019 WCSC. All rights reserved.