CHARLESTON, S.C. – A four-run first inning proved to be enough as Radford defeated the Charleston Southern baseball team 7-1 Saturday to take the series from CSU Ballpark in Big South action.
Radford (9-13, 3-2 Big South) got on the board early behind two home runs and four runs total in the first inning while holding CSU (8-17, 0-5 Big South) to just four hits and one tally on Sam Trend-Beacom’s first home run of 2019.
Trend-Beacom’s blast highlighted a day in which four Bucs collected hits with Brooks Bryan and Payton Holdsworth each collecting doubles and Jason Miller sending a ball back up the middle for a knock. Radford got two-hit days from each of their first four batters as J.D. Mundy’s three-run home run in the first gave him a game-high three RBI’s.
Cam Weinberger struck out four Highlanders in his 2.0 frames, but the four-run first was enough for Radford to come out on top in the end. Radford starter Derek Domecq tossed 3.1 innings allowing the Trend-Beacom blast in the third and allowing two hits.
CSU stayed within striking distance for the first five-plus innings before the Highlanders added two insurance runs in the sixth and one more in the ninth for the 7-1 final margin.
How They Scored
· Radford scored four runs on four hits in the first inning capped by a J.D. Mundy three-run blast and Adam Whitacre solo shot to right.
· CSU responded with their lone run on Sam Trend-Beacom’s no-doubt shot to left field and 4-1 score through three innings.
· The Highlanders added two more runs in the sixth on a sacrifice fly and sacrifice bunt for a 6-1 score.
· Radford added one final tally in the ninth on a run-scoring single to make it a 7-1 ballgame.
News and Notes
· Trend-Beacom became the latest Buccaneer to go deep joining Josh Asbill for list of players to go yard over the weekend.
· Relievers Eddit Hiott, Seth Owens and RJ Petit combined for 6.0 frames allowing just one earned run and striking out five Highlander batters in the loss.