SHVERA Stands for: Satellite Home Viewer Extension Revision Act
This proposed legislation favors satellite companies that will negatively affect localism
VOTE FOR LOCAL TV
There are those today who wish to devalue local TV, to the benefit of national Cable and Satellite companies. Some are in Congress, some are large national conglomerates who simply wish to profit at the expense of local television stations such as your favorite local station in Charleston, or anywhere around the state.
Many hope you won't notice, that you think your local, free-over-the-air TV station is just another Cable or Satellite channel which you must pay for. They think you won't miss all that local television provides for you and everyone in your local community.
But, you will notice and you do know that:
1. Local television stations like WCSC, WTAT, WCBD and WCIV are all licensed by the federal government and are required to meet Local community standards.
2. Local television stations are operated in the local public interest by your Local neighbors.
3. Cable and Satellite channels like CNN, ESPN and others are not licensed and have no obligation to serve the local interest in Charleston.These channels have no employees in Charleston.
4. National Cable and Satellite channels have no local content and are not required to serve the local public interest. They can telecast objectionable programming without consequence.
5. Local TV stations like WCSC, by law must maintain a main studio locally and a public file detailing its operations in the local community.
6. Cable and Satellite channels are not required to maintain a public file or anything else related to service to the local community.
7. Local TV stations must comply with strict rules for broadcasting political advertising and by law must not discriminate in selling advertising to candidates.
8. Periodic Federal re-licensing ensures that local TV stations comply with the rules and regulations of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
9. Cable and Satellite channels are not subject to such rules. They are not licensed to serve local communities by the FCC.
10. Local TV station serve the youth in local communities with educational programming and safe-guards against inappropriate content.
11. Local TV stations donate funding and airtime to charities that support our youth.
12. Local TV stations nationwide contribute and help raise $10 billion annually for public service.
13. Cable and Satellite channels have no mandated obligation to serve our children or to provide public service to others in our local communities.
14. If the only newspaper you could read is USA Today and the only TV news you could watch is CNN or one of the other national Cable news channels, who would cover the news, weather and sports in Charleston. Who would hold local civic and business leaders accountable? Who would protect residents from local scams? Who will get the message out to help raise funds for local charities? Who would be there for us in weather emergencies? Who would connect us with what's happening in town?
15. Localism is at the forefront of Local TV stations' operations. In emergency situations, it is the local broadcaster, not the Cable or Satellite companies, on the scene providing the public with timely, and often lifesaving, information. Localism simply is not in the DNA or in the business models of national Cable and Satellite operators. Localism is what separates local television stations from all the other channels.
Local TV stations bring our communities together, all over America. Preserve that irreplaceable local asset and support your home town licensed local TV stations....All of them. Where would we be without them?
Please contact today your representatives in Congress to show your support for local TV all over America. Tell them you do not wish to see the boundaries of your local television market redrawn. Tell them you wish to see the core concept of localism protected, maintained and strengthened. Tell them that, satellite TV providers, like cable TV providers should offer the services of every local TV station in every local TV market in America.
Tell your neighbors and let your representatives hear from you. Here is how to contact your representatives in Congress:
Local TV is important. It empowers and connects you to your community. It lets you know when to break out the sunblock and when it's time to take cover from a severe weather threat.
It honors local heroes who help those less fortunate and fills a void that may be missing in all of our communitites. It sends a call to action to raise money to help fund important research. It makes our locally elected officials accountable for their actions. It keeps you up to date on all of the events around town. It gives you options and choices on the best way to live your life. Ask yourself- where would you be without local TV?