Youth homes close after budget cuts January 26, 2010 at 3:59 PM EST - Updated June 19 at 2:56 PM COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — A small home for troubled youths in Columbia has closed, the fourth to stop operations in the state in the past 13 months. The State newspaper reported Tuesday that Carolina Boys Home closed earlier this month. The newspaper says there are still about a dozen homes operating around the state. State officials did not say why Carolina Boys Home and the other facilities closed. But they say state and federal funds that help pay for the youths have been cut. Jannie Nelson operated the eight-bed home and said the Department of Social Services was placing fewer children with the home. Nelson says funding was too uncertain. Nelson says boys who ranged from ages 13 to 19 needed an environment where they could learn the proper way to conduct themselves. Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.