Pair charged in murder of missing Charleston woman

By Hatzel Vela  bio | email | Twitter

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - In the first update in months, a Grand Jury returned indictments for murder charges against Heather Kamp and Ethan Mack, said Ninth Circuit Solicitor Scarlett Wilson in a press conference Tuesday.

"Based on what we know now, I believe we have the killers charged," Wilson said.

Grand Jury indictments say Waring was killed June 13, a day after she was last seen at a George Street pharmacy.

Waring died a slow death and was assaulted several ways, which is why it's still unclear how she died, Wilson said.

Money and jealousy were the motives, Wilson said.

"There was an underlying theme of a financial benefit," she said.

On Oct. 8, Mack and Kamp were arrested and charged with obstruction of justice and forgery. Three days after Waring, 28, disappeared Mack and Kamp tried to deposit a fake $4,500 check at the South Carolina Federal Credit Union on Folly Road, investigators said.

Two days later, private detectives hired by the Waring family discovered the missing woman's remains deep in a wooded area of a gated community on Wadmalaw Island.

"The recovery of Kate Waring's remains was a critical part in this investigation," Wilson said.

Wilson also stressed the importance of having witnesses.

"We can't try a murder case without witnesses. And for some time, we haven't had witnesses. We do now and we are prepared to go forward with this prosecution," Wilson said.

Few releases have been made in the case since Charleston police arrested a third suspect on Oct. 22. Terry Williams, 31, was also charged with obstruction of justice, but an affidavit released by police stated Williams was accused of helping move Waring's body.

According to the affidavit, Waring's iPod was given to Williams as payment for moving the body. On Tuesday, Williams' bond was reduced to $20,000.

Mack and Kamp remain in jail at the Charleston County Detention Center with a $200,000 bonds. According to Charleston County records, Mack and Kamp applied for a marriage license in September.

The case has been under a gag-order since late October. Wilson admitted she requested the gag order to prevent possible witnesses from talking to media.

"It was important when we went out to interview witnesses that we were getting information that they knew on their own, not from what they read or from what they saw on TV," Wilson said.

It could be between six and eight months before Mack and Kamp go to trail, Wilson said.

Typically, murder cases take up to two years, said a source familiar with the court system.

Solicitors control case dockets and can give priority to certain cases.

Related Stories:

Bob Behanian's report "Police to turn evidence over to Savage Law Firm"

©2010 WCSC. All rights reserved.