CONWAY, SC (WCSC) - Coastal Carolina University signed 18 members to its 2010 football recruiting class, Head Coach David Bennett announced Wednesday.
This is the ninth recruiting class for Bennett and the Chants, who have won three Big South Conference championships and made their first ever appearance in the Division I Football Championships in 2006. Coastal is 50-29 in its seven years of play in Division I-AA, including an 18-13 mark in league play.
Of the signees, Coastal remained strong in the southeast, signing 13 from South Carolina, two from Georgia and one from North Carolina, but also branched out with one signee each from West Virginia and Tennessee. Among the class are nine selected to All-Star games - six in the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas, two in the SCADA North-South Game and one at the Tennessee
Coastal Carolina's 2010 Football Signing Class
- Jeff Allen FB Fr. 6-3 245 Morgantown, W.Va./Morgantown
- Matthew "Moe" Ashley OL Fr. 6-5 300 Honea Path, S.C./Belton-Honea Path
- Shane Ballard LS Fr. 6-3 215 Manning, S.C./Manning
- Morgan Byrd ATH Fr. 5-11 185 Myrtle Beach, S.C./Myrtle Beach
- Austin Cain ATH Fr. 6-0 185 Harrison, Ga./Kennesaw
- Cody Craig QB Fr. 6-3 205 Moncks Corner, S.C./Timberland
- Moon Edwards DE Fr. 6-1 240 Pageland, S.C./Chesterfield
- Zack Elliman ATH Fr. 6-0 180 Socastee, S.C./Socastee
- Nayquan Fleming WR Fr. 6-1 175 Columbia, S.C./Ridge View
- Phillip George S Fr. 6-1 195 Columbia, S.C./Keenan
- Chad Hamilton OL Fr. 6-3 290 Charleston, S.C./James Island
- Patrick Hansen OL Fr. 6-3 265 Kingsport, Tenn/Dobyns-Bennett
- Matt Hazel WR Fr. 6-3 180 North Augusta, S.C./North Augusta
- Aaron Jones RB Fr. 6-0 235 Greensboro, N.C./Western Guilford
- Mike McClure LB Fr. 6-0 195 Rock Hill, S.C./Rock Hill
- Ronnie Moses WR Fr. 6-1 185 Myrtle Beach, S.C./Carolina Forest
- Devin Taylor OL Fr. 6-3 276 Summerville, S.C./Summerville
- Pernell Williams CB Fr. 6-1 185 Douglas, Ga./Coffee
Signees by State:
- South Carolina (13): Ashley, Ballard, Byrd, Craig, Edwards, Elliman, Fleming, George, Hamilton, Hazel, McClure, Moses, Taylor
- Georgia (2): Cain, Williams
- North Carolina (1): Jones
- Tennesee (1): Hansen
- West Virginia (1): Allen
Jeff Allen FB Fr. 6-3 245 Morgantown, W.Va./Morgantown
Allen was selected to the Class AAA Second Team All-State team by the West Virginia Sports Writers Association for his efforts on the defensive line during his senior year for the Mohigans. He also earned First Team All Conference honors after leading Morgantown to the playoffs.
At fullback, he rushed for almost 700 yards and eight touchdowns during his senior year. He was named to the 2009 Charleston (W.Va.) Daily Mail Preseason All-State Football Team.
Matthew "Moe" Ashley OL Fr. 6-5 300 Honea Path, S.C./Belton-Honea Path
Ashley was selexted to represent South Carolina in the Shrine Bowl after being named the Class AAA upper State lineman of the Year by the South Carolina Football Coaches Association.
Shane Ballard LS Fr. 6-3 215 Manning, S.C./Manning
Ballard helped the Monarchs to a 10-4 record his senior year, losing to eventual state-champion Dillon in the Class AA Lower State finals.
Morgan Byrd ATH Fr. 5-11 185 Myrtle Beach, S.C./Myrtle Beach
Byrd was selected to play in the SCADA North/South All-Star Game, was one of the tema leaders on Myrtle Beach's 2008 state championship team as well as the Lower State Championship and state runner-up in 2009.
Austin Cain ATH Fr. 6-0 185 Kennesaw, Ga./Harrison
Cain is part of a legacy at Coastal Carolina. One brother previously played for the Chanticleers and another is currently an assistant coach with the program. Cain was noted as a Cobb County All-Star in both football and basketball.
Cody Craig QB Fr. 6-3 205 Moncks Corner, S.C./Timberland
Craig was selected as one of the 2009 Shribe Bowl quarterbacks for South Carolina after leading Timberland to the Lower State semifinals. He's also been named the Class AA Lower State Back of the Year by the High School Football Coaches Association, earned the Wendy's High School Heismann. Craig also has a stellar academic career and is ranked third in his class with an overall GPA of 4.57.
Nayquan Fleming WR Fr. 6-1 175 Columbia, S.C./Ridge View
Fleming was on fire his senior season, recording 66 catches for a school-record 1,255 yards and 10 touchdown. He also set the record for single-game receiving yards with 243 and also posted five 100-yard and two 200-yard receiving games during the season.
Phillip George S Fr. 6-1 195 Columbia, S.C./Keenan
George was picked to play in the SCADA North/South All-Star Game following a senior season in which he tallied 81 tackles, nine pass break-ups and 1,200 rushing yards.
Chad Hamilton OL Fr. 6-3 290 Charleston, S.C./James Island
Hamilton was named to the 2009 Shrine Bowl as well as the Class AAAA Lower State Lineman of the Year. He was picked as a member of the 2009 palmetto Champions All-Star Team, the Class AAAA All-State team and, during his senior year, he led james Island to the second round of the playoffs.
Ronnie Moses WR Fr. 6-1 185 Myrtle Beach, S.C./Carolina Forest
Moses earned a spot on The Sun News "Toast of the Coast" and WPDE All-Zone teams after ranking third in the area with school-record 63 catches for 857 yards and six touchdowns for the Panthers.
Devin Taylor OL/LS Fr. 6-3 276 Summerville, S.C./Summerville
Taylor was selected to play in the Shrine Bowl representing South Carolina. He's a two-year starter for the Green Wave who earned Statewide Offense All-State honors from the High School Sports Report his senior year.