CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - In a second wave, then a third, and a fourth, more than 100 Americans made their way into Charleston early Friday morning, recent evacuees from the earthquake-devastated island of Haiti.
A C-17 with 58 on board touched down around 2:30 a.m. followed by a second military cargo plane three hours later. The third plane touched down at 7:30 a.m.
All of the passengers onboard the flights were American citizens. Some were aid workers and volunteers who flew to Haiti after the earthquake; some were Americans living in Haiti as the quake hit who were now looking for a way out.
Scott Reyez, a nurse, volunteered to go to Haiti right after the earthquake to do what he could. "At the hospital there were some pretty severe injuries," Reyez said. "They were doing some amputations and skin grafts, pinnings of broken bones that were already three weeks out from their initial breaks."
John Deyo worked at an orphanage while he was in Haiti and said he will continue to go back to help when he can. "We are spoiled here, and we are very comfortable," he said. "Then you go there and all they want is to be helped. That's why I go back."
Emergency Management authorities said everyone being flown into Charleston at this time are adults. There had been rumors that some Haitian orphanages would be on one of the flights, but that turned out not to be true.