Tearful Delhomme talks about being cut from the Panthers

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV/AP) - A tearful Jake Delhomme held a new conference Friday afternoon at Bank of America Stadium to talk about being cut from the Carolina Panthers.

Delhomme was visibly upset and continued to sniff during the first half of his comments to the media.

He said he was not bitter to the team's management for their decision, but he did say the news about his release from the team on Thursday did come as a shock.

Delhomme admitted he didn't play well last year saying, "This team needs to go in a different direction and so do I."

He said his daughter was just four months old when his family moved to Charlotte and that she is now seven.

"We made Charlotte our home, and people have been so welcoming to us," Delhomme said. "This place is great."

When asked what he planned to do next, Delhomme replied, "I'm not ready to go home and play with the horses full-time."

The move comes after Delhomme threw a career-high 18 interceptions last season. The Panthers still owe him more than $12.5 million in guaranteed money.

Earlier in the day, Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney called it the toughest decision he has ever made.  Panthers coach John Fox couldn't fight off tears while answering questions.

Click Panthers talk about cutting Jake to see Friday morning's press conference.

At an emotional news conference Friday morning where both Hurney and Fox choked up, the Panthers announced that Delhomme was one of five veterans released.

The Panthers also released defensive tackles Damione Lewis and Maake Kemoeatu, and linebackers Na'il Diggs and Landon Johnson in the start of a youth movement.

Copyright 2010 WBTV. All rights reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.