Woman in wheelchair dies in SC house fire

GREENVILLE, SC - GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) - Authorities say a woman who used a wheelchair has died after fire swept through a South Carolina home.

Multiple media outlets report the body of 42-year-old Linda McGarity was found Friday morning after firefighters put out the blaze at the home in Greenville which did not have electricity.

Fire officials say firefighters had a difficult time getting around in the home and McGarity may have struggled to escape in the chaos of smoke and flame.

Authorities say McGarity started another fire at the home a few months ago when she threw gasoline on a fire she started in the fireplace.

McGarity's father says his daughter was paralyzed from the knees down 13 years ago when a gun she was carrying accidentally fired, leaving a bullet in her spine.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.