Quantcast

Officials don't know what sparked SC college fire - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Officials don't know what sparked SC college fire

ROCK HILL, S.C. (AP) - Fire investigators say they don't know what sparked a fire last month at a South Carolina college.

The Herald of Rock Hill reported Wednesday investigators have concluded their investigation without being able to figure out what started the March 6 fire at Winthrop University.

Rock Hill fire Capt. Otis Driggers says investigators have nothing left to investigate in the fire at Owens Hall, which opened in 2007. He says fires sometimes cause so much damage it's impossible to determine how they started.

No one was hurt in the fire in the three-story classroom building.

Winthrop officials say it will take about $4.5 million to restore the building, including new furniture and new wiring.

Officials say the fire started on a small section of flat roof where Owens Hall and connects with another building.

Information from: The Herald, http://www.heraldonline.com

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 

Powered by Frankly