During a hurricane, it is critical that you and your family follow instructions issued by local officials and leave immediately if told to do so.
Live 5 News will air emergency information during a weather emergency and that information will also be found on live5news.com and in our free Live 5 News and Live 5 First Warning Weather apps. You can also watch live coverage from Live 5 News on your mobile device if the power goes out.
Here are additional tips to surviving a hurricane:
- Stay inside a well-constructed building.
- Turn off utilities
- Fill a bathtub and large containers with water.
- Stay away from windows and doors.
- Take refuge in a small interior first-floor room, closet, hallway or basement if available.
- Close all interior doors and brace exterior doors if possible.
- Lie on the floor under a table or another sturdy object.
- Be aware of the eye of the storm: if an eye passes over your neighborhood, it will only be calm for a short period of time.
- Remain indoors.
- Be alert and remain calm. It may take several hours for the storm to pass. Hurricanes often spawn tornadoes.