Quantcast

Family says goodbye to 2-year-old boy during funeral service - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Family says goodbye to 2-year-old boy during funeral service

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - DNA results have not confirmed if the boy found in a trash can filled with cement is 2-year-old Rodricus Williams, but his family says they know it is him.

They gathered in downtown Charleston Tuesday to honor his memory and say goodbye to the young boy.

The funeral service was held at Ebenezer A.M.E. Church and he was laid to rest in Monrovia Cemetery Tuesday afternoon.

DNA results to confirm the boy's identity are expected back next week.

The tragic story that started with reports that the boy was missing after falling in the Battery in downtown Charleston.

The boy was never in the water and his father, 28-year-old Roger Williams, and the father's live-in girlfriend, 24-year-old Grace Nichole Trotman, are in jail after being charged with homicide by child abuse last week.

According to an affidavit, Trotman admitted to an FBI agent that "she made up the missing child story to cover up an incident in which great bodily harm to the child occurred."

According to Roger Williams' affidavit, he acknowledged the boy had an ongoing health condition that needed to be monitored. However, when Rodricus Williams fell ill, he instructed Trotman not to contact health care providers. He admitted to investigators he did not call for medical help either.

After the boy allegedly died, authorities were directed to an abandoned mobile home near Bowman in Orangeburg County where they found the body of a small African-American boy encased in 450 pounds of concrete inside a plastic 30-gallon trash can.

Forensic experts at the Medical University of South Carolina isolated the remains of a boy Thursday, all but confirming Rodricus Williams' death.

A memorial message may be sent to the family at www.palmettomortuary.com.

Related stories:

©2010 WCSC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly