Quantcast

Leaking AC unit cause of Kmart evacuation in West Ashley - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Leaking AC unit cause of Kmart evacuation in West Ashley

WEST ASHLEY, SC (WCSC) - Reports of smoke inside the Kmart on Savannah Highway Thursday morning caused the store to be evacuated Thursday.

When the Charleston Fire department arrived on scene they noticed the smoke was more like a fog. A Hazmat team was called. The cause was an air conditioning unit that was leaking chlorine-based coolant.

The Kmart and Sears were both been evacuated as a precaution. Some people inside the Kmart were complaining of dizziness and tingly skin. EMS checked everyone out, but no one was taken to the hospital.

The fumes are still clearing out of the building.

Copyright 2010 WCSC. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by Frankly