Quantcast

Man accused of killing Charleston sailor back in Lowcountry - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Man accused of killing Charleston sailor back in Lowcountry

Thomas Solheim Thomas Solheim

GARDEN CITY, N.Y. (AP/WCSC) - A New Yorker accused of participating in the 1992 killing of a sailor near a South Carolina naval base returned to the Lowcountry Tuesday, officials said.

Thomas Solheim of Montauk, N.Y., lost his extradition fight and was sent back to Berkeley County to be tried for the sailor's murder.

Solheim is one of four people suspected in the death of 22-year-old James Horton.

A New York law enforcement official familiar with the investigation says Horton was killed because he caught Solheim in a sexual encounter with another sailor.

The official says the killers allegedly feared that Horton would report the incident.

The official spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because South Carolina officials are leading the investigation.

Solheim was arrested last month on a fugitive warrant. A New York judge denied Solheim's latest bid at fighting extradition on Monday.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 

Powered by Frankly