Quantcast

Fire destroys Colleton County man's mobile home - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Fire destroys Colleton County man's mobile home

Source: Colleton County Fire and Rescue Source: Colleton County Fire and Rescue
Source: Colleton County Fire and Rescue Source: Colleton County Fire and Rescue
Source: Colleton County Fire and Rescue Source: Colleton County Fire and Rescue

WALTERBORO, SC (WCSC) - A lit candle in a mobile home without power was the cause of a fire that left one man homeless Thursday night.

An awkwardly fashioned double-wide trailer at 90 Gentry Lane in Colleton County just outside Walterboro was already mostly destroyed by fire when crews arrived on the scene, said Colleton County Fire and Rescue Director Barry McRoy.

The tenant said a candle he was using for a reading light inside the powerless trailer accidentally set his curtains on fire, McRoy said. The Red Cross stepped in to help the man who lost all of his belongings. He was able to escape the fire without injury, McRoy said.

Fire crews were able to extinguish most of the fire within 20 minutes, but were on the scene of the fire for more than three hours making sure the fire would not rekindle because the structure contained a heavy fire load.

McRoy said the building was actually two single-wide mobile homes fashioned together to create a double-wide. A common tin roof over both trailers presented access problems for the firefighters, he said.

Copyright 2010 WCSC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly