NORTH CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - The managers of the I-26 construction project say work is moving toward the final phase of the project. Drivers are asked to be aware of the following changes in the work zone over the next week:
- Lane closures will take place on both sides of I-26. Additional closures will take place near the Aviation Avenue interchange. Drivers are advised to be aware of truck traffic entering and exiting the freeway in that area.
- Moving into late night hours (typically beginning at 11 p.m.), pace cars will be used to slow traffic so heavy equipment can be positioned to place overhead beams for the Aviation Avenue overpass.
- Detours will not be required, but motorists are advised to allow extra travel time if moving through the area during those times.
- The loop ramps exiting I-26 westbound and entering eastbound at Aviation Avenue will be closed nightly due to construction on the overpass. The closures are scheduled from Monday, October 18 through Saturday, October 23, with the exception of Thursday night.
- The road over I-26 will be closed to all traffic the nights of Wednesday, October 20, Friday, October 22, and Sunday, October 24.
- Remount Road will be the alternate route on those evenings.
Project managers say that once the new overpass beams are in place, the last phase of construction can move ahead toward a completion in the spring of 2011.