JOHNS ISLAND, SC (WCSC) - A James Island Chinese restaurant was held up Monday night in a manner that is similar to other recent armed robberies at area Chinese and Asian eateries.
The China Taste Restaurant at 2770 Maybank Highway had about $700 taken by two men at gunpoint who were dressed all in black. The suspects entered the establishment around 10:20 p.m. and put a gun to one employee's head and demanded money from the register.
The men got about $500 from the register and $200 more from an employee's wallet that had fallen to the floor. The suspects tried to flee though the rear of the restaurant, but the door jammed and they had to leave the way they came in.
Several witnesses in the eatery said the suspects were about 5'8" tall with thin builds.
The robbery marks the 15th in a string of armed robberies at Asian restaurants in the Lowcountry since Aug. 1. The last one occurred at Dragon Gate on James Island on October 7.
- Aug. 1: China Wok, Charleston
- Aug. 19: Pan Garden, Folly Beach
- Aug. 25: China Chef, Summerville
- Aug: 28: Pan's Super Buffet, Dorchester County
- Aug. 29: China Fun Restaurant, West Ashley
- Aug. 30: Jade Garden, West Ashley
- Sept. 5: China Chef, Goose Creek
- Sept. 10: Tenichi Japanese Restaurant, West Ashley
- Sept. 12: China Chef Restaurant, Goose Creek
- Sept. 30: Ocean Dragon, Holly Hill
- Oct. 2: Chinese Palace, Summerville
- Oct. 6: Lam's Garden, Ravenel
- Oct. 7: Dragon Gate, James Island