CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Red Cross volunteers were called to the scene of two home fires Friday, providing assistance to a North Charleston family of five, including three children, and a Hollywood family of three.
The Red Cross provided temporary shelter and financial assistance to two adults and three children to replace the food that was lost in a fire in their North Charleston home.
According to the North Charleston Fire Department, the fire originated with a pot left on the stove. There was minimal damage due to smoke from the pot, but the family had the power to the house disconnected as a precaution.
The Red Cross assisted the family until the power could be restored.
The Red Cross also provided three adults temporary shelter and financial assistance to replace the food and clothing lost in their Hollywood home fire. Comfort kits filled with emergency personal supplies and referrals to partner agencies were also given.
Red Cross volunteers will follow-up with both of these families to make sure their long term needs are met.
The Red Cross has assisted 953 individuals needing aid due to home fires in its seven-county region of Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Hampton and Jasper counties since Jan. 1, 2010.