COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - South Carolina Secretary of State Mark Hammond has released the 2010 list of "Scrooges and Angels," which honors or shames charitable organizations based on how much of their revenue actually helps others.
"Angels" are selected by review of financial reports submitted annually to the Secretary of State's Office. Charities must have been established for at least three years and have collected revenue greater than $20,000, and 80 percent or more of the revenue must go toward the charities' program goals. A charity must also make good use of volunteer labor and receives minimal funding in grants to be considered.
The 2010 Angels and the percentage of their program expenses that went toward their program activities, are listed as followed:
- Angel Flight Soars, Inc., Atlanta, GA - 87.3%
- Cheer for Children, Rock Hill, SC - 98.2%
- Family Promise of Beaufort County, Inc., Beaufort, SC - 99.9%
- Fields to Families, Ladson, SC - 98.5%
- Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation, Jacksonville, FL - 85.8%
- Goodwill Industries of Upstate/Midlands SC, Greenville, SC - 92.8%
- Horry County Museum Foundation, Conway, SC - 99.6%
- House of Hope of the Pee Dee, Florence, SC - 83.6%
- Kiawah Island Natural Habitat Conservancy, Kiawah Island, SC - 80.8%
- Pets, Inc. of the Midlands, West Columbia, SC - 98.7%
The designation of "Scrooge" is based upon a charitable organization's failure to spend a high percentage of their collections on stated program activities and/or use of a high percentage of collections to pay professional solicitors. The Scrooges chosen, with the percentage of their program expenses that went toward the program activities, are listed below.
- A Leg to Stand On, New York, NY - 34.2%
- American Assoc. of State Troopers Scholarship Foundation, Tallahassee, FL - 34.4%
- American Association of the Deaf-Blind, Silver Spring, MD - 20.3%
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Foundation, Inc., Schererville, IN - 35.8%
- Disabled Veterans National Foundation, Washington, DC - 37.0%
- Firefighters Support Foundation, Inc., Greenfield, MA - 7.5%
- National Cancer Assistance Foundation, Sarasota, FL - 11.7%
- National Veterans Service Fund, Inc., Darien, CT - 17.5%
- Parkinson Research Foundation, Inc., Sarasota, FL - 25.3%
- Project Cure, Inc., Bradenton, FL - 22.7%
"Charitable solicitations across the state have increased in the last three years because more and more people are in need of assistance," said Secretary Hammond. "Even though times are tough, South Carolinians continue to be some of the most generous people in the nation and always answer the call when it comes to defending and helping the less fortunate. However, there are those who would take advantage of our generosity. So I ask that you check out any organization before you contribute your hard-earned money."
You can visit www.scsos.com and select the Charity Search button to learn the charity's total revenue, program expenses, total expenses, net assets, and fundraiser costs. The site calculates the percentage of total expenses that the charity has devoted to its program services. You can also call the Secretary of State's Charities Division at 1-888-CHARITI (242-7484).