Quantcast

North Charleston family loses home in dryer fire - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

North Charleston family loses home in dryer fire

NORTH CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - A North Charleston family lost almost everything they own in a house fire over the weekend. The fire was caused by their clothes dryer.

While most people are safeguarding their homes from fires caused by holiday lights and turkey fryers, the Nasce family says it is the simple things you need to pay attention to.

"My daughter had put some clothes in the dryer to dry and had taken a nap and a friend came into the house and said your house is filling with smoke," said fire victim Kimberly Nasce.

In a matter of minutes the Nasce's house was engulfed in flames.

"We all go to bed at night with the dryer running we all leave the house with the dryer running," Nasce said.

Bianca Sancic with the North Charleston Fire Department says she knows all to well the damage dryers can cause.

"Many people will go to sleep and leave the house with the clothes dryer running and I used to do it. After I saw two or three dryer fires I said 'maybe not,' so I'm very attentive to my dryer," Sancic said.

Sancic says there have been 12 to 15 dryer fires this year in the Lowcountry.

According to the U.S. Fire Administration, clothes dryers account for more than 12,000 fires and 15 deaths in the U.S. each year.

"Clean out the lent trap between every load and make sure that that's all clean and clear," Sancic said.

Sancic also says it's important to clean out the metal tubing that goes outside the home once every six months to a year and that will limit some of your risk as well.

Copyright WCSC 2010. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly