Student says she saw teenager on fire from classroom window

NORTH CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - A North Charleston student is fighting for his life in a Georgia hospital after being badly burned at school Wednesday morning.

The Charleston County School District hasn't said exactly what happened on the campus of Academic Magnet High School and the School of the Arts.

The teenager is in critical condition at the Augusta Burn Center after a fire-related incident forced the joint campus of Academic Magnet and School of the Arts into a lockdown Wednesday morning.

A student at the School of the Arts said that she was sitting in class when she saw smoke out of the window. She then said she saw the teenager on fire. The 911 call was released Thursday morning.

"There's a student on fire? Oh my God!" said the school's receptionist just before speaking with the 911 operator. "We have a student on fire."

"How did the child catch on fire?" the 911 operator asked.

"I don't know," the receptionist said. "They're putting him out with an extinguisher and there are people out there assisting her."

[Listen to the 911 call. (mp3)]

North Charleston police towed away a car they believe could have been involved in the incident.

Related Story

Copyright WCSC 2010. All rights reserved.