Sprinkler issues at Stall cause early release

NORTH  CHARELSTON, SC (WCSC) - Students at Stall High School in North Charleston are being released early Tuesday as a result of a fire suppression sprinkler issue at the  school.

According to North Charleston Fire Department spokeswoman Bianca Sancic, fire crews were called to the school in reference to reports of smoke in the building.

When firefighters arrived, the found a heating unit that had overheated.  The unit was taken out of service, and no other damage was reported.

Charleston County School District spokesman Jason Sakran says there was an issue with the fire sprinklers at the school that caused the alarm.  As a result of the problem, students are being released around 11:30 a.m. as soon as buses arrive at Stall.

Parents wishing to pick their children up at Stall are asked to use the back entrance of the school on Peppermill Road.

No students were injured in the incident according to Sakran.  The sprinkler problem should be fixed by Tuesday evening, and school is scheduled as normal for Wednesday.

Copyright 2010 WCSC.  All rights reserved.