BONNEAU BEACH, SC (WCSC) - A man and his son were forced to find shelter with relatives after a fire destroyed their Bonneau Beach home late Sunday night.
Tre Hulett and his 5-year-old son Brayden returned to the Berkeley County home to assess the damage.
Brayden lost all his Christmas presents in the fire.
"I'd just gotten through putting everything up, everything had for Christmas, and it's gone," said Tre Hulett. "It's rough, but at least we're alive and it didn't happen the other night, so that's what I'm thankful for."
Hulett said they would be staying with his step-father.
According to Hulett, he was at work and his son was staying with relatives at the time of the fire. Fire officials at the scene said a heater unit caused the fire.
American Red Cross volunteers provided assistance.
The Bonneau Beach Fire Department responded to the blaze, and Red Cross volunteers were on the scene soon after being called to help the victims meet their immediate needs.
The Red Cross workers provided funds to help replace food and clothing destroyed in the fire,
and they made referrals to community partners of the Red Cross for assistance with the victims'
They also contacted a Red Cross nurse who will follow up with the family as to the need for replacement medications.
Since January 1, 2010, the Red Cross has assisted 1193 individuals needing aid due to home fires in its seven-county region of Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Hampton and Jasper Counties.