Quantcast

2 displaced by house fire caused by propane heater - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

2 displaced by house fire caused by propane heater

NORTH CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Firefighters in North Charleston were called to the scene of a house fire Wednesday afternoon, officials said. Officials said the cause of the fire was a propane heater.

The fire on the 2000 block of Grayson Street was quickly contained, officials said, but the home sustained significant damage to the home.

The American Red Cross was called to the scene to assist a family of two who lost everything to the blaze that destroyed much of their home.

North Charleston fire officials said two people were home at the time of the fire, but no one was harmed.

The Red Cross provided the family with temporary shelter in a nearby hotel and financial assistance to help replace the food and clothing lost in the fire. Volunteers also provided the family with comfort kits that contain personal emergency supplies, such as toiletries.

The Red Cross will follow up to assure that the long-term needs of the fire victims have been met.

Copyright 2010 WCSC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly