4-month-old baby burned in house fire is still recovering - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

4-month-old baby burned in house fire is still recovering

By Evan Johnson - bio | email

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - It was inside a westside Savannah home where 4-month-old Terrion White was badly burned.

"From his forehead up, the left side of his face, and both of his hands. They're trying to determine whether it's third-degree burns [on his forehead]. They know it's second or third and third [on the left side of face]. And his hands, they're not specific on his hands yet, but I think the left hand is third degree," said baby Terrion's grandmother, Sharon Russell.

The fire happened Christmas Eve on Stokes Street. Fire investigators say the electrical fire involved a heater catching bed linens on fire. Terrion was lying on the bed. Grandmother Michelle White can still remember her daughter waking her up that night.

"I was lying in my bed sleep[ing] and I was drifting off and she came back to me and came in my face saying 'Mama, my baby's on fire,' and I was like, 'What! What happened?'," said White.

"I was here with my other grands doing cookies and having a good time and then when she called me I said, 'What?' I was so devastated until I handed the phone to his grandfather," said Russell.

Terrion's mother was able to pull him from the flames, and he was taken to the Joseph M. Stills Burn Unit in Augusta. Terrion underwent surgery Sunday, and doctors placed him in a medically induced coma. His grandparents say he's on a respirator and is being fed through a tube.

"They're going to take him off of the respirator Friday, and the swelling is supposed to go down Friday. He had no infections and he didn't catch a fever," said White.

There's still a long road ahead for the infant's family. If all goes as planned, a skin graft will be performed on baby Terrion on Monday.

Copyright 2010 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly