North Charleston family loses home to a fire

NORTH CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) – The North Charleston Fire Department was called out to a house fire that occurred on Paramount Drive at around 5:30 Saturday evening.

When fire officials arrived at the house no smoke was visible from the outside, but once firefighters were able to get into the house they encountered heavy smoke.

According to authorities the single family home was unoccupied at the time of the blaze and they were able to locate the fire quickly, limiting damage to two rooms in the house.

Fire officials says the home owners came home to find their house filled with smoke and heard the smoke alarms going off. They did not enter the house, but was able to call 911 for help.

The American Red Cross is assisting this family with food, clothes and temporary shelter.

Investigators have determined that a fresh cut Christmas tree is where that fire started in the house.

Copyright WCSC 2011. All rights reserved.