Quantcast

Conway infant's death sparks nationwide recall - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Conway infant's death sparks nationwide recall

CONWAY, SC (WMBF) - Over a year after a Conway infant died from strangulation, the Consumer Product Safety Commission is warning all parents about a popular brand of baby monitors.

On Friday, the C.P.S.C. and Summer Infant Inc. announced a voluntary recall of it's "Video Baby Monitors with Cords" in an effort to protect parents from any fatal accidents. In January of 2010, a Conway infant was killed after a monitor's cord was found wrapped around his neck, inside his crib.

"He was such a happy baby, he never cried, he was just full of life," said Jennifer Smith of Conway, the infant's mother. Emergency personnel worked to revive Smith's son but the outcome she believes would have been even more damaging.

"They said if he does come back and they get his heart to begin, he'll be a vegetable for the rest of his life, he won't be the same baby he was that morning when he was laughing and playing with us." Smith said.

On Friday, officials with the CPSC said the Conway infant's death isn't the only fatal accident involved with the recall.

According to a press release from the CPSC, "In March 2010, a 10-month-old girl from Washington, D.C. was found strangled in her crib in the electric cord of a Summer Infant video monitor." 

THe CPSC and Summer Infant are urging parents to immediately check the location of the video monitors, including cameras mounted on the wall, to make sure cords are out of arm's reach of their child.

The recall is not meant to fix any defective cords or devices, rather it's meant to provide new warning labels to let consumers know about the risks they face with monitor cords.

Copyright 2011 WMBF News All Rights Reserved

Powered by Frankly