VITA Information Sheet
Contact Number: Call 2-1-1 or 965-4037 for tax preparation
Website: www.tuw.org or www.ctul.org
Mission: The mission of the Trident Area Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Coalition [TAVC] is to provide tax preparation services and asset-building education and opportunities for all low to moderate income families in the tri-county area (Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester counties).
VITA is a partnership between Trident United Way and the Charleston Trident Urban League, which administers the program.
- In 2010, 2647 tax returns (a 45% increase year to year) were filed through VITA, which represented $2.7 million in returns.
- TAVC tax sites open mid-January and provide free tax preparation services through April 15.
Tax Preparation Assistance
- Tax sites are located in libraries, churches and community centers in the tri-county area. There are 17 sites in the tri-county area. List attached.
- Households making up to $49,000 are eligible for free tax preparation.
- Two sites, Increasing H.O.P.E. and Family Services, Inc., will be providing on-site financial education information and opportunities to sign up for financial classes.
What Tax Preparers Need to Bring
Until tax time, below are some important pointers on what to be prepared to bring when having your taxes prepared:
- Proof of identification
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Current year's tax package if you received one
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year's federal and state returns, if available
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit
- Total paid for daycare provider and daycare provider's tax identifying number
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms