Woman arrested for leaving children in car, lying to police

GOOSE CREEK, SC (WCSC) -  Police arrested a 28-year-old woman for leaving her children in a car and lying about one of her children's ages at a Wal-Mart parking lot in Goose Creek Monday evening.

The Goose Creek Police Department charged Paulette Gregory with unlawful conduct towards a child, resisting arrest and giving false information to police. The incident started when officers responded to the Wal-Mart on 605 St. James Ave. in reference to children being left unattended and unsupervised inside a Dodge Caravan.

After locating the vehicle, an officer said he did not notice any adults in the area watching the children in the car for 15 to 20 minutes. Police then approached the car and asked the children their ages. The boy said he was 4 and the girl said she was 10.

The mother, Gregory, then arrived at the vehicle and officers told her why they were there.

According to a police report, officers asked Gregory two times how old her daughter was and Gregory answered each time that she was 13. When officers asked the girl how old she was, the girl replied that she was 10, but the mother stated once again that her daughter was 13.

At that point the officers felt the mother was being deceptive and asked for proof of the daughter's age, a police report stated. The mother said she didn't have proof of age. An officer then asked the daughter what grade she was in and she said she was in the fifth grade.

One of the officers then told Gregory that he knew she was giving him false information and asked her to tell the truth about her daughter's age. According to police, Gregory then said her daughter was 11.

Authorities say it was apparent Gregory was providing false information to avoid criminal charges. The officers then attempted to arrest Gregory, but she resisted and pulled away during the attempt, the police report states.

When officers were able to secure her on the ground, police say that Gregory continually tried to turn over on her back and would not allow herself to be handcuffed. After struggling with the woman for a few moments, officers were able to get her secured.

The children were released to their grandfather.

Copyright 2011 WCSC. All rights reserved.