Quantcast

Fire department: Dryers caused nursing home fire - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Fire department: Dryers caused nursing home fire

NORTH CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Fire officials say dryers caused a fire that displaced residents from a nursing home in North Charleston.

According to the North Charleston Fire Department, the fire began in the linen closet and was caused by high heat and an alcohol based fabric softener.

According to investigators, the commercial dryers used at the White Oak Manor Assisted Living Center dry at a much higher temperature than those used in a home. The towels retained heat, smoldered and caught fire in the closed linen closet

The Saturday afternoon fire displaced 173 residents  from the home. DHEC officials say that the sprinkler system is still not working properly in parts of the home. 

According to officials, patients might be able to move back in to the facility to a newer wing of the home either on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Copyright WCSC 2011. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly