WEST ASHLEY, SC (WCSC) - A West Ashley family of seven is thankful to be alive after a fire damaged their home. They say their survival could be possible thanks to a friendly raccoon.
The fire started just after midnight Monday on Jaywood Circle behind the Crab Shack off Ashley River Road.
One family member said she woke up because she thinks a raccoon set off the backyard light. She says she noticed smoke coming from a light fixture in the ceiling and quickly got the family out.
The St. Andrews Fire Department says the fire likely started in the laundry room and spread to the attic.
The Red Cross is helping the family get back on their feet.