Quantcast

Grease causes downtown Charleston house fire - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Grease causes downtown Charleston house fire

Firefighters battle an Athens Court home Thursday morning. (Source: Alan Campbell) Firefighters battle an Athens Court home Thursday morning. (Source: Alan Campbell)
Neighbors watch firefighters on scene of an Athens Court house fire Thursday morning. (Source: Alan Campbell) Neighbors watch firefighters on scene of an Athens Court house fire Thursday morning. (Source: Alan Campbell)
The home damaged by the fire. (Source: Alan Campbell) The home damaged by the fire. (Source: Alan Campbell)
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -

Firefighters were called out to a fully engulfed home early Thursday morning in downtown Charleston. The fire started in the kitchen.

At least eight fire trucks from both the Charleston and St. Andrews Fire Departments were on scene around 4:45 a.m. Thursday at an Athens Court home. Officials say the fire is now under control. Crews are still on scene putting out hot spots, but officials are beginning to release units.

One home was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived. That fire spread to a nearby shed and a second home, which suffered minimal damage.

No one was injured in the fire.

The fire was caused by grease on the stove. One of the residents started cooking grease on the stove, but then fell asleep, according to fire officials.

Copyright WCSC 2011. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly