NORTH CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - A natural gas leak shot up at least 20 feet in the air as crews with SCE&G and the North Charleston Fire Department worked to contain the leak Friday.
The natural gas leak occurred at the intersection of Lilac Avenue and Leeds Avenue at 11:36 a.m. Friday. The leak happened about two blocks from Brentwood Middle School.
According to SCE&G, the leak was secured at 3:20 p.m. North Charleston Fire Department spokesperson said officials conducted neighborhood sheltering, which means they asked residents in the area to keep doors and windows closed as a safety precaution.
No one was injured and the area appears to be safe, Sancic said.
SCE&G had to dig a hole to shut off the leak by realigning the pipe to stop the leak on each end. The North Charleston Fire Department was on standby with protective hose lines as a precaution.
Classes at Brentwood Middle School went on as normal and students were dismissed at the normal time.