Quantcast

Parole denied for man convicted of killing 2 officers - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Parole denied for man convicted of killing 2 officers

NORTH CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -

Parole was denied Wednesday for a man serving 20 years for killing two law enforcement officers.

Brian Nelson had his third chance for parole Wednesday morning at a hearing at the National Guard Armory. Parole was denied.

According to investigators, Nelson was driving his pick up truck on Boone Hill Road in November of 2002, when he hit and killed two officers who were helping a woman with a flat tire.

Authorities say Nelson was driving with a suspended drivers licence and had a history of seizures and later admitted to being high on medication. He was convicted of killing Berkeley County Sheriff's deputy Marion Wright and Summerville police officer William Bell.

"I know that the law enforcement community is going to be happier today that a double cop killer is going to stay in jail for at least one more year," said Bell's nephew James Bateman.

In 2003, Nelson was given two 10 year sentences for reckless homicide. He was later eligible for parole after serving just five years in prison.

Nelson's first parole hearing in 2009 was denied. Last year, Nelson waived his right to a parole hearing.

"It's an emotional toll. I mean we're in a roller coaster all year long spirits up one day thinking things are good and then go down," said Bell's widow, Betty Bell.

Family members say they are already preparing for next year's parole hearing. They say they'll be able to sleep comfortably tonight knowing the man that took the lives of two police officers is staying behind bars for yet another year.


Related Story

Copyright WCSC 2011. All rights reserved.

  • NEWS LocalNEWSMore>>

  • Police: Teen gunman fatally shot 15-year-old who shot 17-year-old

    Police: Teen gunman fatally shot 15-year-old who shot 17-year-old

    Thursday, July 19 2018 6:56 PM EDT2018-07-19 22:56:07 GMT
    Bond was denied for 17-year-old Zamere Raeguel Treawn Brown of Johns island who faces one count of murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime.Bond was denied for 17-year-old Zamere Raeguel Treawn Brown of Johns island who faces one count of murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime.
    Bond was denied for 17-year-old Zamere Raeguel Treawn Brown of Johns island who faces one count of murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime.Bond was denied for 17-year-old Zamere Raeguel Treawn Brown of Johns island who faces one count of murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime.

    Charleston Police say a teen gunman charged with murder fatally shot a 15-year-old moments after that teen shot and killed another 17-year-old at a West Ashley apartment complex. 

    More >>

    Charleston Police say a teen gunman charged with murder fatally shot a 15-year-old moments after that teen shot and killed another 17-year-old at a West Ashley apartment complex. 

    More >>
  • Police: Driver in crash that killed 11-year-old girl had 0 percent alcohol content

    Police: Driver in crash that killed 11-year-old girl had 0 percent alcohol content

    Thursday, July 19 2018 1:14 PM EDT2018-07-19 17:14:04 GMT
    Jeffrey Wakefield is charged with DUI and reckless homicide (Source: CCSO)Jeffrey Wakefield is charged with DUI and reckless homicide (Source: CCSO)
    Jeffrey Wakefield is charged with DUI and reckless homicide (Source: CCSO)Jeffrey Wakefield is charged with DUI and reckless homicide (Source: CCSO)

    The driver charged with felony DUI and reckless homicide in connection with the death of an 11-year-old Danish girl in downtown Charleston July 9 blew a 0.00 on his breath test, according to additional supplemental reports released Thursday.  

    More >>

    The driver charged with felony DUI and reckless homicide in connection with the death of an 11-year-old Danish girl in downtown Charleston July 9 blew a 0.00 on his breath test, according to additional supplemental reports released Thursday.  

    More >>
  • Thursday marks one year since Don Holt Bridge tarp collapse

    Thursday marks one year since Don Holt Bridge tarp collapse

    Thursday, July 19 2018 7:27 AM EDT2018-07-19 11:27:08 GMT
    Crews working to clear the netting from the bridge. (Source: SCDOT)Crews working to clear the netting from the bridge. (Source: SCDOT)
    Crews working to clear the netting from the bridge. (Source: SCDOT)Crews working to clear the netting from the bridge. (Source: SCDOT)

    It's been exactly one year since one of the worst traffic nightmares of 2017 unexpectedly hit the Lowcountry when a tarp used by painting crews collapsed onto the Don Holt Bridge.  

    More >>

    It's been exactly one year since one of the worst traffic nightmares of 2017 unexpectedly hit the Lowcountry when a tarp used by painting crews collapsed onto the Don Holt Bridge.  

    More >>
Powered by Frankly