SUMMERVILLE, SC (WCSC) - Police say Arthur Lee Thompson's attack on a police officer that ended with Thompson found in a smashed, stolen patrol car all started with a robbery attempt at a Summerville Walmart.
For the past two weeks, local police departments have been dealing with robbery reports on a daily basis.
Thompson's misadventure in Summerville on May 13 (caught on dash cam video seen here) kicked off a number of robberies in the past two weeks in the Lowcountry.
On May 18, a Hess gas station attendant in North Charleston was held up by an armed man. Two days later, the First Federal Bank on St. James Avenue in Goose Creek was robbed. Police are still looking for the suspects in both robberies.
Then on May 21, two Dollar General employees were confronted by an armed and dangerous man who was more concerned about money than their lives.
The suspect reportedly told the two employees,"I got two murder charges on me and I don't care if I got two more."
This week started with the beating and shooting of an elderly man at a Berkeley County grocery store during an armed robbery. Byron Johnson was arrested and charged with attempted murder for the May 23 armed robbery of Wright's Grocery store in Cross.
On that same day, two armed men held up the Lam's Garden Chinese restaurant in West Ashley. They got away thanks to a third accomplice who was waiting outside in a car.
Also on Monday, a downtown grocery store was robbed by two men, one of whom police nabbed. Norman Tiashawn Pringle was charged with the armed robbery of the O&M Grocery Store on Meeting Street. Pringle's accomplice is still wanted.
The following morning on May 24, a man armed with a gun robbed the Scotchman Store in Mount Pleasant taking everything in the cash register.
In this case, the suspect grabbed two drinks before he left. Later that morning, another man dressed in all black allegedly told a bank clerk he was carrying something far more dangerous.
Police say David Presnell walked into the BB&T bank in Summerville and told a bank clerk that he had a bomb. Police later nabbed Presnell and charged him with entering a financial institution with intent to steal and threatening the use of a replica of destruction.
That night, two armed male suspects robbed the Sonic's on Highway 17 in Mount Pleasant. The duo responsible is still being sought by authorities.
The latest armed robbery happened at a CVS Pharmacy on Savannah Highway in West Ashley Thursday morning.
If you have any information you are asked to call police or Crime Stoppers at 554-111.
- May 13: Caught on video: 'Grand Theft Auto' played out in Summerville
- May 18: Suspect holds clerk at gunpoint in North Charleston
- May 20: Police investigate bank robbery in Goose Creek
- May 21: Victim recalls being held at gunpoint during Dollar General robbery
- May 23: Grocery store owner still critical after beating, shooting
- May 24: Trio wanted for Chinese restaurant armed robbery
- May 24: Man arrested for downtown armed robbery, one suspect still loose
- May 24: Armed with gun, 2 drinks, man robs Scotchman Store in Mt. Pleasant
- May 24: Bond set at $50k for Summerville bank robbery suspect
- May 24: Sonic robbery suspects still loose
- May 26: Gunman robs CVS early Thursday morning
- June 1: Kangaroo Express in West Ashley robbed