JOHNS ISLAND, SC (WCSC) - A barn was destroyed in a fire caused by fireworks on Johns Island Tuesday evening.
St. Johns Fire and Rescue responded to the area of River Road and Exchange Landing Road around 6:45 p.m. to find a barn and surrounding grass in a blaze. Firefighters from City of Charleston and James Island also arrived at the scene and the fire was contained within a few minutes.
A section of River Road was closed for one hour to access a fire hydrant and put out the flames.
Charleston County Sheriff's deputies say that the fire was caused by children playing with fireworks in the area of the empty, unused barn. Deputies said they did not know what type of fireworks were used, or if the fireworks were being discharged inside the barn.
St. Johns Fire and Rescue Captain James T. Ghi said, "This fire was started by fireworks being used improperly. This could have been a devastating incident if it would have involved an occupied structure."
The children involved in the incident were released to the custody of their parents. No injuries were reported.