Quantcast

Authorities: 67-year-old man killed in car after accidental fire - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Authorities: 67-year-old man killed in car after accidental fire

COLLETON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) -

Authorities say a 67-year-old man died of smoke inhalation after his car accidentally caught on fire at his home in Colleton County. The Colleton County Coroner's Office says that James Aiken died of carbon monoxide poisoning due to smoke inhalation.

Firefighters were called to a home on Rivers Street Saturday evening in reference to a fire under a vehicle. 

When fire crews arrived they saw the car on fire with heavy flames coming from the front and inside of the car. According to Colleton County Fire and Rescue, after the smoke cleared, crews discovered Aiken's body in the driver's seat. 

Neighbors told investigators they heard the engine on the car revving up and went to investigate.

According to authorities, neighbors spotted the flames on the ground under the engine compartment and called 911. The car was found next to a single story home which received minor damage from the flames.

Colleton County Coroner Richard Harvey believes the incident to be an accidental death. The Colleton County Sheriff's Office and SLED are investigating.   

Copyright WCSC 2011. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly