Family loses everything in fast-moving fire

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Fire destroyed an apartment on Nassau Street Sunday night, leaving a family homeless and without their possessions.

John Wilson said he and three family members were home when the fire broke out some time after 6 p.m.

"Went in the laundry room and laundry room was ablaze," Wilson said. "It's an old house, you know what I mean and it caught fast."

The family got out safely, but soon realized everything they owned was lost in the fire.

"We accumulated everything we had in a 10-year span and it was all wiped out in a matter of minutes," said Wilson.

"Good thing it didn't happen late that night because smoke probably would have overcome us and would have had a body count instead of just a burned up house."

Investigators determined the fire started in an outlet in the laundry room.

The Red Cross provided temporary housing for Wilson's family along with money for food, clothing and shoes.

The upstairs apartment was damaged in the fire. The lone tenant also was helped out by the Red Cross.

©2011 WCSC. All rights reserved.