Colleton County school bus catches fire

WALTERBORO, SC (WCSC) - The ride to school was a bit smoky for some Colleton County students after the bus they were riding caught on fire.

The fire happened at Industrial Road and Belfast Lane in Walterboro around 8 a.m.

The driver smelled smoke and stopped the bus to evacuate the children and call 9-1-1.

Fire officials were able to put the fire out in minutes.

Colleton County fire officials say the small fire was caused by a wiring problem under the dashboard.

The children were not hurt.

Copyright WCSC 2011. All rights reserved.