Gym teacher recognized for saving choking student

GREENVILLE, SC (AP) - A Greenville middle school gym teacher has been recognized for saving a 13-year-old student who was choking on a bottle cap.

Berea Middle School coach Paula Wolfe received special recognition at a faculty meeting Wednesday.

Trenton Sullivan says Wolfe saved his life Friday after he inhaled his water bottle cap.

The eighth-grader was sitting on the gym's bleachers when Wolfe told him to throw away his bottle. He did, but kept the bottle cap and put it on his tongue. Sullivan says when he laughed at his friends' jokes, he inhaled the cap.

Wolfe started the Heimlich maneuver, and after three pumps, the student coughed up the cap and could breathe again.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.