Traffic will be running a little smoother on Interstate 26 this weekend.
All of the entrance and exit ramps along I-26 are open this morning. That includes a fourth lane on I-26 eastbound.
All lanes on I-26, along with all ramps at the Aviation Avenue and Remount Road exits are also open.
It's been awhile so here are a couple of important changes you may want to know about:
1) Four through lanes on I-26 in both directions.
2) Direct access to Remount Road from I-26 East and to I-26 West. Prior to this project, there were only two ramps at Remount, going to I-26 East and from I-26 West.
3) Two routes to access the back entrance to both Boeing and the Charleston Air Force Base. Of these two, Remount Road was widened and rebuilt using more durable concrete. A traffic signal was also installed where Remount ties into South Aviation Avenue.
4) An additional left turn lane onto Rivers Avenue at the end of the Aviation Avenue.
5) No more double-lane shifts for traffic coming onto I-26 East from Ashley Phosphate Road and onto I-26 West from I-526. If you cannot get over immediately after coming off I-526, the right-hand lane will continue and re-enter I-26 West just past the Aviation Avenue interchange.
6) Most on-ramps will have more acceleration distance.
There will be some minor work remaining as crews clean up and complete some final touches. This will require occasional night-time lane closures for a few weeks more, but daytime and early evening traffic will not be impacted.
Copyright WCSC 2011. All rights reserved.