CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - The coroner's office has released the final autopsy results for a 2010 Bishop England High School graduate who died in September after a choking accident in a Wofford College dormitory.
The Spartanburg County Coroner's Office says 20-year-old Randall Heffron died as a result of choking. Coroner officials elaborated by saying that Heffron had an elevated ethanol level that may have contributed to vomiting which led to extensive aspiration of food.
Family members say Heffron was eating pizza with friends in the dorm and started choking. He went to the bathroom, but when he didn't return his friends went to the bathroom and found him unresponsive.
Heffron was a 2010 graduate of Bishop England High School where he was a star player on the tennis team, but teachers also remember a hardworking student who was well-liked by classmates.
Robin Heffron released the following statement:
"The pain of losing a child is compounded by the fact that underage drinking was involved. This tragedy shows that even a gifted athlete such as Randall can succumb to college dorm life and die in an instant if the cause of the medical emergency is not recognized. "
"I pray that we can all learn something from this tragedy. None of our children are immune to the 'fun' and dangers that come with college life. Parents and students, become familiar with the Heimlich Maneuver. College officials please spread this message. Post Heimlich Maneuver posters in all the dorms and bathrooms. I thank you for your overwhelming support during this sad time."