Summerville couple loses home, two dogs in fire

SUMMERVILLE, SC (WCSC) - A Summerville couple is without a home after a fire broke out overnight. The fire happened in the 700 block of Butternut Road, sometime before 10 p.m.Monday.

Homeowner Terrie Winter says she's lived in the home for 30 years and even though she and her husband lost all their belongings, the hardest part was losing their two family pets.

"That's the hardest thing for me right now is just the dogs. Just thinking about them dying in there like that, I just can't take it," Winter said.

Following the fire at her Summerville home, Winter isn't sure how she'll move forward. Her dogs, Pepper and Jasmine, were inside at the time. Her family's belongings gathered over 30 years were also a total loss.

"I wasn't thinking I'd lose the whole home and everything in it, everything you own. My mother just died three years ago. I have all of her stuff in there. It's all gone. His daddy's stuff was in there. It's all gone," Winter said.

Mrs. Winter says it was just after 9:30 p.m. when she took her and her husband's dinner plates from the bedroom to the kitchen. She says that's when she saw the kitchen in flames and thick smoke in the living room.

"I ran out and got the water hose and I was squirting it into the kitchen. In the meantime that's when he was trying to find out where I was, and when he realized he couldn't get out that way, he had to bust the window out the bedroom and get out," Winter said.

Winter says her husband jumped from the bedroom window and called 911 from a neighbor's house.

Old Fort Fire Department says they got the call at about 10 p.m., and they got the fire out by 2 a.m. Neighbors say fire crews had a long stretch of Butternut Road blocked off.

The fire department says a big concern was a large amount of ammunition that began exploding during the fire. The couple says they had collected it over the years along with an antique gun collection.

"Things you know, you can replace things. But you can't replace your animals. I'm just glad it was just us and not any children," Winter said.

Despite some minor burn injuries to her face, hands, and her hair, Winter is thankful she and her husband are okay and that her grandson was not there at the time.

The Fire Department Chief confirmed the fire started in the kitchen, but the exact cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Copyright WCSC 2011. All rights reserved.