Quantcast

Authorities: Overloaded circuit to blame for house fire - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Authorities: Overloaded circuit to blame for house fire

WALTERBORO, SC (WCSC) -

Authorities say an overloaded electrical circuit was to blame for an early Wednesday morning house fire on Hallie Lane in Walterboro.

According to Colleton County emergency personnel, the fire started around 12:57 a.m. in an electrical outlet which had a space heater connected to the socket.

No injuries were reported.  Volunteers at the Red Cross assisted the family due to the amount of damage sustained by the home.

The Red Cross provided the family with temporary shelter, financial assistance, and comfort kits filled with personal emergency supplies and referrals to partner agencies for their emergency needs after their home on 56 Hallie Lane sustained major damage.

Including the month of October, the Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 161 individuals.  They have assisted 992 people in need of aid in Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Hampton, and Jasper counties since the beginning of the year.  They saw a 172 percent increase of individuals needing assistance since this time last year.  

Members of the community are encouraged to become a hero for fire victims by donating to the Red Cross's Heroes for Fire Victims Campaign.  The support enables the Red Cross to continue to assist families in need from residential fires.  

Contact the American Red Cross at 843-764-2323 ext. 368 or by going to www.LowcountryRedCross.org.

Copyright WCSC 2011. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly