Quantcast

Grandmother saves three children from kitchen fire - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Grandmother saves three children from kitchen fire

COLLETON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) -

A grandmother was able to get three children safely out of a home that caught fire Friday afternoon in Colleton County.

According to Colleton County fire and rescue officials, a grandmother was home cooking on Teal Court when the fire broke out on the stove and quickly extended to the cabinets. She was able to get the three small children out of the home safely and call 911.

Photo Slideshow
Click to view a photo gallery

When firefighters arrived on scene they found heavy smoke and flames coming from the home. Crews say the fire had burned in the attic space and was rapidly advancing above the firefighter's heads in the ceiling.

Firefighters used pike poles to pull down the ceiling in the living room, kitchen and dining room to stop the flames. Most of the fire damage was contained to the kitchen and dining room.

The fire burned through the roof over the kitchen, but the rest of the home suffered little fire damage. Smoke damage was evident throughout the house, but many personal items and clothing were saved.

Copyright WCSC 2011. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly