Quantcast

Anthony Sowell's Imperial Avenue home demolished - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Anthony Sowell's Imperial Avenue home demolished

Posted: Updated:
CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

The home of serial killer Anthony Sowell has been demolished.

It took crews around two hours to completely tear down the Imperial Avenue house.

Trucks are now on site to haul away the debris. Once filled, the trucks will be led by police escort - to prevent tampering - to a Garfield Heights recycling plant. The debris will be immediately shredded as to prevent anyone from gaining any type of memento from the mass murder site.

51-year-old Sowell was sentenced to death for the murder of eleven women between June 2007 and September 2009.The victims' remains were found inside and outside of Sowell's Imperial Avenue home in Cleveland.

The city had been working through a legal process to make preparations for the demolition.

"It should have been down, long time ago," said Lavon Williams. "Everything in there should be destroyed and sent to a landfill. I've seen people take stuff out of there last couple of weeks. I wouldn't want none of it in my house."

Relatives of victims were notified by hand delivered letter on Monday.

"In order to prevent actions that would be disrespectful to the memory of your loved one, your family and our community; the demolition will be performed in such a way that no piece of the property will remain."

The property is owned by Sowell's family, who will be billed for the demolition work. If it's not paid, a lien will be placed on the property.

As of now, Sowell's execution date is set for October 29th, 2012.

Copyright 2011 WOIO. All rights reserved.

  • NEWS LocalNEWSMore>>

  • Phone call tip leads to four arrests in Charleston

    Phone call tip leads to four arrests in Charleston

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:36 PM EDT2014-07-23 03:36:45 GMT
    Charleston police officers are crediting a concerned citizen for four arrests on Tuesday morning.A department spokesperson said they received a tip about several men with handguns along Norman Street at around 1am.After a responding officer tried to pull over a vehicle with several males inside, the men fled on foot. Four of the men were arrested, while two were able to elude police. Two handguns were located inside the vehicle.Lamar Scott Brisbane, 20, Dontez Alonzo Wright, 25, Aldean Cordre...More >>
    Charleston police officers are crediting a concerned citizen for four arrests on Tuesday morning.A department spokesperson said they received a tip about several men with handguns along Norman Street at around 1am.After a responding officer tried to pull over a vehicle with several males inside, the men fled on foot. Four of the men were arrested, while two were able to elude police. Two handguns were located inside the vehicle.Lamar Scott Brisbane, 20, Dontez Alonzo Wright, 25, Aldean Cordre...More >>
  • US Marshals: Fugitive fatally wounded in St. George was Conn. murder suspect

    US Marshals: Fugitive fatally wounded in St. George was Conn. murder suspect

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:58 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:58:52 GMT
    Charleston County Sheriff's officials say a man wanted for murder died at the hospital after SLED agents shot him when he showed a weapon during a foot chase outside a St. George motel on Tuesday.More >>
    Charleston County Sheriff's officials say a man wanted for murder died at the hospital after SLED agents shot him when he showed a weapon during a foot chase outside a St. George motel on Tuesday.More >>
  • Berkeley County School Board bans parent coaches

    Berkeley County School Board bans parent coaches

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 1:33 AM EDT2014-07-23 05:33:28 GMT
    The Berkeley County School Board voted unanimously to ban parent coaches Tuesday evening. It took less than 10 seconds for the board to approve the ban that keeps volunteer parents from coaching their children at both the varsity and junior-varsity levels.
    More >>
    The Berkeley County School Board voted unanimously to ban parent coaches Tuesday evening. It took less than 10 seconds for the board to approve the ban that keeps volunteer parents from coaching their children at both the varsity and junior-varsity levels.



    More >>
Powered by WorldNow