WALTERBORO, SC (WCSC) - Ninety baby turkeys were killed in a barn fire on the outskirts of Walterboro on Sunday morning.
Colleton County Fire & Rescue officials responded to the fire just after 8 a.m. to find a 30 x 50 foot wood and metal barn almost fully consumed by flames.
Firefighters said winds pushed flames 30 feet from the building, igniting several bales of hay and a small storage building. Officials said the fire also came dangerously close to a propane tank.
The owner of the property told authorities that she was making early-morning rounds to check on the livestock when she noticed smoke coming from the barn. She said that a lamp fell over igniting saw dust inside the barn.
The woman said she chased several turkeys out of the building before calling 911.
Firefighters said they were able to stop the fire from destroying a supply room on the right side of the building, sparing several hundred pounds of feed. All of the tools and appliances in the work shop were burned.
Only nine of the baby turkeys were recovered unharmed, authorities said.