Life returns to normal for deli owner after stabbing

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Two months, 39 stitches later and two weeks out of work, the owner of a downtown Charleston deli says she has finally recovered after a man attacked her with a knife inside her home.

The community has come together to help Maudell Grayson feel alive again and get back on her feet.

"I'm lost for words," Grayson said. "The community was just there to support me. All my fans, my friends, there are flowers and it's just unbelievable."

On Sunday, at Torch on King Street in downtown Charleston, friends, family and loyal customers of Dell'z Deli came out to support Grayson with a fundraiser. This is her first party she's ever had.

Nicole Brown, Grayson's daughter, put together the event with the help of Camille Key.

"I've never realized how much love there is in Charleston until this happened," Brown said. "It's been pretty tough, but we haven't felt alone because so many people are reaching out."

Music set the tone for the party, which was put together to get Grayson's mind off of the stabbing that happened back in October and also to offset costly medical bills that followed with a silent auction...

"I want to see her smile again - that's all," Brown said.

Brown says the last two months have been hard for her family, but the incident brought them closer together. Now the family can finally breathe a sigh of relief after U.S. Marshals arrested Grayson's ex-boyfriend David Isreal Smith in Las Vegas last week. He has been charged with attempted murder.

"I'm happy that he's off the street," Grayson said, "He needs help for himself. I don't desire bad things on him but he's got to pay for what he done [sic]. I was just thankful for my life."

Grayson says her focus is now on the community that has always been there for her.

"Since this happened it really showed how much they cared for me," Grayson said. "For me to sit at home and see all the flowers and the letters and the stuff on emails it's just been unbelievable."

Grayson is back at work and can now keep her deli open past dark. She had been closing early until authorities caught Smith. She says she's ready for things to get back to normal.

Related Story

Copyright WCSC 2011. All rights reserved.